Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Thanks, Pinterest.

I love Pinterest, don't get me wrong. It's given me thousands of ideas about my future classroom, hundreds of DIY projects that I'll never be able to do... It's made me understand that I'll never have the house of my dreams, because who can really live in something like that based on a teacher's salary... and it's given me great recipes that even if I had the time and money to try, I'd never be able to complete all of them because there's just too damn many.

Perhaps the worst thing that Pinterest has done for me, is make me realize how old I really am. Yes, I know, I'm not "old"... but after coming across THIS website, I realized that in fact, I am old if I'm basing old on these factors...

Not that anyone really cares, but I'm going to go through this list and explain myself.

1. "You just can't resist finishing 'in west Philadelphia born and raised...'".
-On the playground was where I spent most of my days, chillin out, maxin, relaxing all cool, and shooting some b-ball outside of school. when a couple of guys who were up to no good, started making trouble in the neighborhood, I got in one little fight and my mom got scared and said you're moving with your auntie and your uncle in Bel-Air.-
Point. Proven. 
2. You can name these TV shows:
Good Burger (Kenan and Kel), Doug, ?, Rocko's Modern life
- I wasn't allowed to watch Rocko's modern life, but I still know it.
3. "Your AOL Profile had to be perfect"
- I spent countless hours making sure the colors, fonts, answers to the silly questions, and my favorite quote was PERFECT. All to just change it the very next day.
4. Goosebump books
-I didn't own all of them, but I read a bunch of them.
5. Everything could be settled by rock, paper, scissors...
-Yes, yes it could. And if it couldn't be settled by that, then there really wasn't a reason to argue over it.
6. Listening to the radio to record your favorite song... ON A TAPE!
-I can't even begin to imagine the number of times that I actually did this. Too many. But what a great excuse for the day...
7. You always dreamed of being slimed
-Watching Double Dare such games where people were slimed always made me happy. I did want to be slimed.
8. You know the real meaning of TGIF
-Back then, TGIF meant 3 uninterrupted of various shows such as: Family Matters, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Boy Meets World, Hangin' with Mr. Cooper, Step by Step, and Muppets Tonight. I lived... LIVED for Friday nights on ABC. Friends would come over, or I would go up the street to a friends house... we ate more popcorn than we should while watching Corey and Topanga's love story unfold. And cried, like we knew them, when they finally tied the knot. TV just isn't as good now. I don't care what anyone says.
9. You'll never forget your first boom-box.
How could you forget it? It weighed 30 pounds, and carrying it anywhere usually resulted in putting it in someone's red wagon from the neighborhood. More often than not, it just sat on a bookshelf in your room.
10. Had to have the coolest slammer
-Because if you didn't, all the other kids at school and in the neighborhood would talk mad smack about you.
11. Lisa Frank School Supplies
-Say no more. All of those wonderfully bright colored crazy looking animals made any 3rd grade girl happy. And God forbid you not have anything Lisa Frank! :)
12. Collected every beeny baby you could get your hands on...
-I have them in my mother's attic to prove it, if anyone doesn't believe me. And by ''EVERY" that does include all of the ones that McDonald's put out in their happy meals...
13. Original Walkman
-The was the best Christmas ever.
14. You know the Macarena by heart
-And can remember the first time you ever heard it at the skating rink and thinking "this is even dumber than that chicken dance song" but you still did it...
15. All of the Cool Kids wore ring pops
-Yes. They did. And I did too... just not in school like the cool kids did. Which made me an uncool kid.
16. Tamagotchi, Giga pet, Nano pet
-Took it everywhere, laughed when it's poop killed it, and wanted every color that they made. My mom still has a few of them, I just wish I could find the batteries that go inside of them! That would REALLY make my day!
17. You remember NOW the original
-Remember it? I had it! And it was NOT a CD... it was a cassette tape! Refer HERE for more on that subject.
18. Begged your parents to let you stay up to watch Are you afraid of the Dark?
- I actually did not do this. Seeing that one episode about the clowns was more than enough for me to understand that that show was not something I wanted to waste my time on.
19. You predicted your future by playing MASH
-Yes, we all did. And it was entertainment at it's finest! Now, I've discovered that you can go to THIS website and play it online. Which I agree is a 'greener' and 'eco-friendly' way of discovering who you'll be marrying and where you'll be living, there's just something about MASH on a piece of wide-ruled paper.
20. Everyone wanted your Dunkaroos at lunch
-They did! Especially because the other kids didn't have them... I was in Wal-mart not that long ago in Pembroke, and actually saw Dunkaroos on the shelf. Words I thought? "1995 called, it wants his cookies back."
21. Remembering your school banning Slam Books
- If they did, I don't remember it. I went to middle school in the 90's in the worst area of downtown Wilmington, people there usually just confronted the other, or threatened that their older 'brotha, sista, or cuzin' would shoot the other person after school. Slam books at DC Virgo weren't really needed. Fighting was our* answer.
(*Our= the crazy ass people at my school, not me! I didn't talk to anyone in middle school, ever.)
22. Saturday morning cartoons were worth watching
-Because of the TMNT... And if you have to ask, you weren't watching them. (Refer to the website!)
23. You remember renting VHS tapes, not DVDs.
-We still HAVE VHS tapes ... and until the last remaining dual DVD/VHS player is no longer working in this family, I'll still have them.
24. You wished Jumanji was a real game
- Awesome movie, but I didn't want that game to be real.
25. You still miss your trapper keeper
-Find me one person that doesn't miss the trapper keeper. I dare you.


As you can see, I clearly meet well over 20 of the 25 listed ideas of being a kid in the 1990's... not that anyone doubted, but seriously. Kids today have absolutely no idea how awesome the 90's were. A kid today can get on the internet and look up anything! I argued day and night with the boys in my neighborhood over lyrics to songs, or who the best power ranger was, and if Corey and Topanga really loved each other. Now? GOOGLE IT. Google has all the answers.

And, I feel ancient.

0 comments:

Post a Comment