Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Azalea Festival Weekend

Any native of Wilmington, NC knows that the 2nd weekend of April means that you will lose your mind. Not because it's usually warm and nice weather... and that tourists have started coming out of the woodworks... but because of the Azalea Festival. Don't get me wrong, there's a ton of history and pride from our town for this festival. Most girls have a right of passage in becoming a woman by being chosen to be an Azalea Belle. This is what every girl, who's a native, and who also had a great connection to someone in the Garden Club longs for as a child as they watch the parade and see the Belles on the floats and in the beautiful gardens on the home tours. I know that's what I always thought.
"One day, I'll be on that float with the Queen."
For anyone wondering, I was on a float. About 50 floats away from the Queen. I got stuck with members of the hammerhead soccer team, their annoying mascot who made passes at me while in the costume, and two redneck beauty queens from the backwoods. But, being the Southern lady that I am, I sat there, parasol in hand, and waved to the crowd my rehearsed "Queen Wave" that Grandma Ann had been teaching me since I was about 4 years old. And I made my family proud.

This weekend, is the Azalea Festival. It's that time of year again... the time where Belles are everywhere, traffic sucks more than the Fourth of July (not an understatement), there are old couples lost on every street because they don't own a GPS and they can't find the next Garden on the tour, You can't get downtown because of the street fair-even though you want a funnel cake so bad that you'd risk anything (or anyone) for just a taste of that powder sugared doughy goodness....A time where Forest Hills (my neighborhood) gets so congested with traffic you can't leave your own house unless you take a bike or walk (and let's face it... that's never going to happen). A time where unless you reserve your parking place at the church a month in advance ($10- proceeds go to the mission trip) you'll end up missing the parade and kicking yourself for ignoring all of the fliers Emily put in the church bulletins and newsletters. Because now, you won't see the elephants parading down 3rd street, and you surely won't see the Queen.

Usually I run away from Wilmington during this time. Last year I was 3,000 miles away in the comfort of my own apartment with Cameron during the festival. The year before that I escaped to Asheboro because wouldn't you know it, 2 of the gardens on tour were ON MY STREET. I had no choice but to get out of there.

I would gladly stay in Lumberton this weekend.

But... I start my summer job this weekend.
My summer job that is in downtown Wilmington, on Front Street.
The job that is opening their newest store on Friday or Saturday.
Still not getting my point?
They're opening the store the weekend of AZALEA FESTIVAL.
Ok, I know I'm lucky to even have a job for the summer... but unless you've lived and breathed THE festival... you can't understand what this really means. If the store opens on time, scheduled for Saturday, that means my mother (bless her) will be driving me to work...Which most likely means that I'll be dropped off at the church and I'll be walking the rest of the way to work.

But, that's okay. Because I'll be at work. Earning Money. Which I desperately need. And downtown will be filled with tourists because of the festival. Which means more business for us.

Although I'm not sure how I'll be able to handle the smell of funnel cakes wafting through the air and into our store... Guess I'll have to just take some cash with me... At least enough for 5 or 6... ok, 10 funnel cakes. :-D

Aside from the craziness of "The Festival" I'm very excited for Saturday morning. I get to go to a baby shower for a WONDERFUL woman that I've known for 11 years. Traci was the director of the very first STW TEC weekend that I went to as a guest. I've always felt that Traci was a wonderful person, even back then. So I am very excited to celebrate her and her babies at the baby shower Saturday.
And yes, I said babies... as in twins... as in precious TWIN GIRLS!!!! Let's just say that I'm glad that my cousin Amanda is also pregnant, and also having twins.... because I'm not longer a Gap Kids manager, and I don't get the good discounts, ever. Amanda's twins aren't going to be as spoiled as Keller was. Which is probably a good thing... Plus, Keller was the first, and I was working at Gap Kids so I really had no choice. And I just couldn't be stopped. :)

So, in closing, I can't wait to see Traci! And I can't WAIT to eat a funnel cake... or 12.
No worries.... Tervis (Tervis Tumbler...for those who aren't educated in Southern-ness... read my other blog Get Educated)  will be close by and full of sweet tea, at all times. (Especially since it's going to be a hot one, so the weather channel says).

0 comments:

Post a Comment