Pages

Monday, April 2, 2012

RYBO

I realize that I normally wait 2 months to post after a "catch up" blog post... but I wanted to do this one, and I just finished studying for a test tomorrow and haven't quite calmed down from the studying... so I'm writing it now before I forget. And this post (and any others that may contain this same theme) are mainly for ME. So don't feel that you have to go on and read all of this :)

Months ago, I bought this book on my kindle fire for like 99 cents and there it has sat in queue waiting for the day that I would actually have time to read it. Well, fortunately for this book, this time was last Friday night. The book is called Run Your Butt Off, A Breakthrough Plan to Lose Weight and Start Running [No Experience Necessary!]  

I started reading it, and it was like I was having a conversation with the author, instead of reading. I liked loved that. I also liked the fact that everything was spelled out for you. The basis of this fitness routine, is that you start with walking and then build up slowly to the running. For example, this week is my "Week 1" and all I have to do is walk for 30 minutes, 4 days a week. When I say "all I have to do" I don't just mean that I'm going out strolling around my neighborhood looking at the crazys around Lumberton... I mean I'm walking at a pretty fast pace, to where my legs actually feel like I'm doing something with them. (Even my thighs!)

Along with the walking, I'm also eating better... which means I've forced myself to eat a healthy dinner AND only drink water today, AND (the big kicker) I've only had ONE snack after dinner. This was my biggest issue. Whenever I would eat dinner, I'd eat, but I wouldn't eat enough I suppose, and then I'd be stuffing my face full of chips, crackers, candy, etc. until I went to bed. Which is how I've put on all this weight since moving back from Los Angeles.

Here's the thing about my lifestyle in Los Angeles: I had it made. I only shopped at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and Ralph's. I RARELY ate fast food. I RARELY drank sweet tea. I worked out almost everyday... whether that meant I went to take yoga or pilates at the gym, worked out at the gym, or went hiking/running/walking in Runyon Canyon behind my apartment (which really meant Cameron forced me to go with him, but I totally felt better afterwards!)... It also didn't hurt that my gym membership was paid for by Cameron. In that respect, I felt like I was wasting his money if I didn't go, which was even more motivation for me to get my ass there... not to mention it was literally less than a block away at the end of my street.

Fast forward almost 2 years, I'm the heaviest I've ever been and I'm not really happy about it. I've always had issues with my weight and body. And I'm not saying that I think I'm overweight, or fat... or ugly. But I'm not happy and I could definitely stand to shed a few of these extra pounds I've racked up since moving back to the South.

SO... This Run Your Butt Off thing seems like something that's right up my alley. I can pace myself based on how comfortable I feel with my progress. And as long as I'm continuing to eat better, and keeping up the exercise... I think that I'll be successful with this new change. I'm also excited about it, because running is something that I can do for the rest of my life... (or until I need new hips or knees). So that's a big plus as well. And I don't need a gym membership. I can run OUTSIDE. Around the neighborhood. At the beach. Etc.

Today I did my first walk for 30 minutes... and I actually enjoyed myself.

And when I watch the Biggest Loser tomorrow night, I will be drinking my water, and NOT eating something terrible for me. Go Me. !

0 comments:

Post a Comment