Pages

Monday, December 6, 2010

NOW... that's what I call feeling Old.

The music industry many years ago decided to come out with the "NOW MUSIC" CDs.in order to get the new hip music to the fans in ONE CD. And might I just add, that CDs were just becoming widely popular at this time...It was a good move on their part, because you could just wait until the NOW MUSIC CD came out, and have all of your favorite songs on one tape and not have to buy every other cassette from multiple artists. (Back in this day and age, we were not fortunate enough to have iTunes, where you could pick and choose which songs you wanted from an album). This NOW phenomenon started originally in the United Kingdom, but made it's way Stateside in 1998 with the release of NOW 1. In 1998 I was 12 years old. The NOW 1 CD included such artists as: The Backstreet Boys, Janet Jackson, Aqua (remember the "Barbie Girl" song?), Spice Girls, Hanson, Cherry Poppin' Daddies, All Saints, and Everclear. 


This, was the biggest deal ever. Everyone who was anyone had this CD. And it wasn't like we all had CD burners to run to and make a copy of it for our friends. I actually believe that I had the first Now album on a CASSETTE tape. As crazy as that may sound. The last Now CD that I purchased (ok, most likely my Daddy bought it) was the Now CD vol. 5. This CD included such  tunes as, "It's gonna be me" by NSYNC, "Aaron's Party" by Aaron Carter, Mandy Moore, and a bunch of other hip hop/rap songs that didn't really appeal to me. Which was a big reason that I never bought another one. Instead of all of the great songs of the time period that I liked, they had songs on there that I hated. So I just saved my money to buy shoes, or a new purse. 


What made me write about this in the Blog is this: I saw an advertisement on TV the other day and almost choked. It was a commercial for the NOW CDs.... Now, let me first say this... NOW 5 that I purchased was released in 2000. I was a freshman in high school. They are now on NOW 36!!!! THIRTY SIX!!!! How ridiculous!?! It made me feel incredibly OLD. And not to mention I'll be turning 25 in January (that's January 21st, for those wondering when to send gifts...) (ha!) And seeing that didn't make it any better. 


I guess I was actually somewhat surprised that they were even still releasing CDs like that... since practically everyone has a computer with iTunes, and an MP3 player of some sort to play music on. Although, I will say if it is an artist that is one of my favorites, I buy the CD. There's just something about buying the CD, getting in the car, taking an hour to open the CD (honestly, who came up with the CD wrapping policy?) and then popping it in to the CD player and listening to the album. Now you can sign onto iTunes and bam, instantly the album is downloaded to your computer, plug in that MP3 player and BAM it's instantly on there. Now you're free to run around the neighbor hood and listen to your new music... or, in reality, you're free to look at a teenager in the mall with her parents who has got the MP3 player "earbuds" glued to his/her ears and has a horrible look on their face. (Almost as if they were embarrassed to be with their parents). 


Anyway... Things like this happen all the time to me... and more recently it seems the older I get, the more they happen. My mom and I had a conversation about computers/cell phones/TVs and how they have evolved just in my life time. Talk about crazy. And thank goodness for it. Or else I couldn't entertain you with this lovely blog post. 


Other things, such as, organizations that I've been involved with, have done the same type of thing. For example, I'm been involved with Share the Word Teens Encounter Christ (STW TEC) since September of 2000 when I went as a guest to TEC#21. I am now currently serving on the leadership team for the upcoming weekend in January. The number of this weekend you ask? I don't really want to tell you... but I will. It's #41. HOLY MOLY! 20 TECs later... and here I am. I was director for TEC #31, that was in September of 2005. It just seems crazy to me. And makes me feel old. 


That's my ranting for tonight... I needed a break from studying about Hitler's Nazi regime in Germany, and about communism in China. (who wouldn't?). It's exam week here at UNC-Pembroke... aka, the week every student slowly but surely loses their mind. So far so good... two more tomorrow, and this crazy history final is on Wednesday. So I will update again once the craziness is over! Have a wonderful week everyone! 



0 comments:

Post a Comment