Pages

Friday, September 9, 2011

Rainbows

Besides my bunny, blanket, pillow that was my Daddy's, and a collection of baby clothes and books, my Rainbow Sandals are probably the oldest thing that I have in my possession. I was 13 when I got my first pair of Rainbows. I was ELATED. We went all the way to Carolina Beach, to the "coolest" surf shop to get them... (Not really the coolest, but it was the only place that had a size small enough to fit my tiny little feet). They were shiny, new, and super cool. Because let's remember, that in 1998, most people that were wearing them, lived somewhere near the water. People in Alaska were not wearing Rainbows, yet. 

These sandals were awesome. They traveled through DC Virgo Middle School, New Hanover High School, UNC Greensboro, Cape Fear Community College, Los Angeles, and to Lumberton. Not only were they awesome and super comfortable, but they were molded to my feet. There was absolutely no tread left on the bottom and my right big toe dragged on the ground... I needed a new pair about 5 years ago, at best. I've had several pairs of Rainbows since high school, but they were never the same as the "old faithfuls". They were never as comfortable, the black ones left my feet black, and I had red ones that left my feet red. I had a pair of white hemp ones that I lost somewhere. Last summer I bought a pair of Pink Ones. They were exactly like the old faithfuls, but just pink and not brown. I wore them a few times. But I always went back to the old ones. (Remember, I'm a Lutheran, I'm set in my ways. I do NOT do well with change). 

But tonight, I said fair-well to my loving old Rainbows. Because at dinner, my foot got caught on the table leg, and the strap of my left Rainbow was jerked out of it's place. Sigh. I almost cried... No, seriously. I had mentioned getting dessert to my mom when we arrived at the restaurant, but now, I had to. The only thing that was going to comfort me at this point was caramel-banana cheesecake, deep fried, with ice cream, whipped cream and caramel on top. (Which, was delicious, but my Rainbow is still broken...). 

So, RIP Rainbow Sandals... You were very loved by my feet, and you will be missed. You got me through 13 years of my life. And you were able to see many, many things. You will live on in my memory... and perhaps my craft room if I decide to frame you (*Don't judge me*). 

Thanks for 13 great, amazing and comfortable years. My feet will forever be thankful. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment