Pages

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Okay, so maybe I am old...

Today, I realized that I'm old. I know that I'm not OLD... as in like 85 and all that... but compared to my much younger classmates in the elementary education program... I'm old. 

Let me back this up... I am one of those people that writes everything out by hand, and THEN I type it up on the computer. I've always been like that. Perhaps one day I'll get crazy and actually type something out right... but just the actual thought of doing that, makes me crazy.

So today, a group of lovely ELE-M students were in the curriculum lab in the education building (our home away from home) and I was working on my children's literature annotated bibliographies for literacy and language arts class and my lovely Lauren was working on her management philosophy. Naturally, I had written out the titles, authors, summaries, age levels, Lexile scores, the common core standards and how I would use that particular book ALL by hand and I was simply typing everything into the blog site for the assignment... 
Lauren had asked me once already why I was doing that... so I said "Just because it makes me feel better and it's just something I've always done." 

Later, Lauren asked me again, why in the HELL was I doing double the work. 

So I said... Look... I didn't grow up with a computer in front of me that was always there ready for me to type on. Lauren thought I said I grew up with a type writer. To which I threw my pen at her (I'm not that old). So I continued to explain to her the situation...

I didn't have a computer in my house until I was in the  6th grade. And, even then, my FATHER was the ONLY ONE who used it. I went to Wrightsboro Elementary School where ALL the computers in 2nd grade were funny looking boxes and had a black screen with green writing and to do ANYTHING you had to type in the codes for it. (i.e., a://whateveryouwanttodo). After the green screens, they upgraded to the lovely Apple. So I spent the rest of my years at Wrightsboro Leaning the basic computer functions on a Mac and playing more games of Number Munchers than anyone probably should have..... When I went to middle school, we had Macs. My Dad finally let me learn how to use the computer at our house, with his supervision. I went to high school and discovered the world of Microsoft Word, and Excel. Excel being my one true enemy in life... I didn't do a power point presentation until I was a FRESHMAN in COLLEGE at UNC Greensboro. 

So. Needless to say, when I wanted to write something for school. I WROTE IT OUT ON PAPER USING A PENCIL OR A PEN. 

AND... 9 times out of 10, it was in cursive handwriting and not print. Which explains why I constantly slip into cursive while I'm trying to write in print. 

So today, I realized that I was old. Even the 5 year difference between my friends and I at school is a HUGE almost 50 year gap in the world of technology. So I'm going to continue writing things out by hand... 

Interestingly enough, this blog is the only thing I type right when I want to. Mainly because this is all about my life and my feelings... and all that.. :) 


0 comments:

Post a Comment