Pages

Friday, July 9, 2010

Relay for Life....Santa Monica Style!

Well it's that time of year again... for me at least! Relay for Life was in April for Wilmington, NC. And for the first time since I was in 4th grade, and my senior year of high school (because I was grounded, but that's another story...) I missed RFL in Wilmington. And, of course, THIS was the year that my grandma (Wayway) and great aunt (Aunt Rose Jane) decided to participate. It's been 6 years this month since Wayway found out she had ovarian cancer, and one year since ARJ found out she had breast cancer. So naturally I was a little upset that I couldn't do the survivor lap with both of these amazing women. Especially since I'd wanted Wayway to participate since day one of her fight against cancer.

So, since I  missed out on RFL in Wilmington, Cameron saw a flyer while we were in Santa Monica a few weeks ago and showed it to me. The dates worked out with both of our schedules so I signed up.

Now here are some differences with RFL home and RFL here:
HOME: *Survivor's register for free and are not required to participate on a team or to raise money- but are encouraged to do so.
HERE: Survivor's register for free, but are required to raise a minimum of $100.00 in order to receive their event T-shirt and walk in the survivor's lap.

So, long story short, I registered. And I put a link on my Facebook and updated my status frequently about helping with donations and what not. Then at the beginning of the week, one week from RFL I had a $100 goal and $0 raised. So I put up another status. Then, to my shock and surprise I received an email from the American Cancer Society saying that my fundraising goal had been reached. I figured that a few people had made donations and that I got to $100. Wrong. My cousin Amanda, and her husband Nic donated $500.00 to RFL. Luckily I was seated, so I didn't need to worry about falling over. I immediately signed onto Facebook and grabbed Amanda on the chat feature. Thanked her for everything, and signed off. Miss Julie donated $25 and my Aunt Barbara and Uncle Tommy donated also.

So my grand total is $550.00 for RFL Santa Monica!

The walk starts tomorrow at 9am, survivor's lap at 9:30 and I'm sure Cameron and I will stay around and walk some laps and enjoy the activities that they have planned and what not. I'm excited to see what all they will have planned and everything. And really excited to walk in an event that is this big. I'll post pictures from the event after we get back and I get them uploaded!

Happy walking!

0 comments:

Post a Comment